Company Information: The Department of Mathematics and Statistics (DMS) is in the Faculty of Science and Engineering of Université Laval, one of the leading research universities in Canada. The DMS provides an excellent environment for research and teaching. It offers courses (taught in French) to students in our specialized programs in Mathematics and Statistics (Bachelor, Masters and PhD), in Biostatistics (Masters and PhD), as well as courses to students in Engineering, Education, etc. Researchers in Statistics are associated with some of the research centers at the University, including the Big Data Research Center, and a recently created center for modeling, the CIMMUL.
Université Laval is located in Quebec City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the capital of the province of Quebec. With over 40,000 students, the university is a stimulating working environment, at the heart of a metropolitan area of 750,000 inhabitants.
Position Title: Tenure track position in Statistics (Big Data)
Duties and Responsibilities: The Department of Mathematics and Statistics of Université Laval invites applications for a tenure track position in Statistics. Although all fields of specialization in statistics and applied probability are admissible, a research program linking statistics to machine learning and / or big data is a major asset. In addition, a successful candidate with a high level of research activity in the development of statistical methods for machine learning may be recommended for a CIFAR Research Chair in Artificial Intelligence (https://www.cifar.ca/assets/pan-canadian-artificial-intelligence-strategy-overview/). Candidates who will soon complete their PhD, as well as candidates who hold a PhD in a neighboring field (e.g., Computer Science) with a strong expertise in Statistics, are invited to apply. Hiring will normally be at the rank of assistant professor and the appointment would start in the summer of 2019.
The successful candidate will be expected to
• recruit and supervise graduate students,
• engage in a productive research program,
• apply for funding from the major granting bodies,
• teach in French undergraduate and graduate Statistics courses (including large class service courses),
• contribute to the management and promotion of departmental programs,
• and more generally contribute to the development and day-to-day functioning of the Department.
Position Qualifications: Candidates must
• have obtained a PhD degree in Statistics, or an equivalent qualification, or hold a PhD in a neighboring area with a strong expertise in Statistics,
• be able to propose an independent research program, on topics among others at the interface of statistics, machine learning and/or data science, for which the candidate could rapidly obtain adequate funding,
• demonstrate the potential to recruit and supervise graduate students in Statistics,
• demonstrate the capacity and interest to teach and maintain statistics courses, at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including large class service courses,
• demonstrate excellent pedagogical abilities to teach and create statistical courses for statistics students, as well as students in other programs,
• be able to teach in French or be able to do so within a year.
Application Information: Applications must include a CV, three letters of reference (ideally including one addressing teaching experience or potential), an outline of research plans for the next three years (3 pages maximum), a teaching philosophy statement (2 pages maximum), and up to three recent articles (preprints or off-prints). The candidate should clearly indicate his/her level of French proficiency and comment on his/her capacity to become proficient within one year.
Application may be submitted through Mathjobs (https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/10680), by e-mail (in pdf) to PosteStatistique@mat.ulaval.ca, or by regular mail to
Poste en statistique
Département de mathématiques et de statistique
1045, av. de la Médecine
Canada G1V 0A6
Contact Email: email@example.com
Application Deadline: 10/31/2018